Chile is a fascinating country with so much to offer.
You might want to check out our List of 200 things to do in Chile on our blog. We are still in the process of completing it so if you have any recommendations, leave us on a message on the post.
See our interactive Map of Chile to get an idea of where many of the following places are:
Places to Visit in Chile
- Antofagasta - La Portada natural rock formation
- Arica - Chile's northern most city
- Curepto - Rustic town in the Maule Region with the Camellia Festival.
- El Cajón del Maipo - Nature close to Santiago. Go rafting, horseback riding or see a glaciar in the national park.
- Easter Island - Moai Statues, beaches and volcanos
- Ahu Akahanga - Hotu Matu’a, the founder of Rapa Nui, is supposed to be buried here
- Ahu Akivi - The only moai site that is inland and also with the moai looking towards the ocean.
- Ahu Tongariki - The largest Moai of Easter Island (and the most photographed).
- Anakena Beach - The main beach of Easter Island
- Hare Moa - The stone chicken houses
- Hare Vaka - The boat houses where people used to live
- Orongo - Ceremonial village of the Birdman competition on the edge of the Rano Kau Volcano
- Puna Pau & Pukao - where the red topknots (look like hats) of the moai were made
- Rano Kau Volcano - The impressive volcano with a lake in its 1km-wide crater.
- Rano Raraku - Moai Factory - the place where almost all moai were created
- Rano Raraku - Crater Lake - The volcanic crater lake
- Tukuturi Moai - the kneeling moai different from every other one found on the island
- Frutillar - A town on a lake with a strong German heritage
- Huilquilemu - A typical colonial house (1850) now museum near Talca
- Pichilemu - Surfers' hangout
- Pomaire - Handicrafts and Pottery
- Pucón - Volcano Treks, Rafting and other adventures
- Puerto Aysén - A day trip from Coyhaique.
- Puerto Montt - Gateway to the Glacier Cruises and Angelmó Seafood and craft markets
- Puerto Varas - The Lake Region and main starting point for Todos Los Santos Lake crossing.
- Punta Arenas - Gateway to the Torres del Paine and Antarctica
- Braun Menendez Palace Museum - A reminder of the Golden Age of the Magallanes region
- Fuerte Bulnes - A reconstruction of an old colonial fort near Punta Arenas
- Punta Arenas Cemetery - Are those trees or chubby fingers?
- Seno Otway Penguin Colony - Penguins that roam around on grass, not ice.
- Winter Carnival - Annual carnival in the middle of winter.
- San Pedro de Atacama - Sand Dunes, Rock formations, Salt Lakes, Geysers and more in the Atacama Desert Region
- Santa Cruz - Surrounded by Vineyards and Wine Trails
- Santiago - Capital City (See Below)
- Talca - Independence Museum, Maule region
- Temuco - Gateway to the Mapuche Culture
- Valdivia - The River City with its own sea lions and near old spanish forts
- Valle del Elqui - Pisco Factories, Space observatories and UFO sightings
- Valparaíso - World Heritage Site with its colourful houses on the hills. An open-air museum.
- Villa Alegre - Traditional southern town with its streets lined with orange trees
Chile - General Information
- Airlines - A list of airline offices in Chile with their contact details.
- Business in Chile - Doing Business in Chile with cultural tips and advice
- Café con Piernas - (Coffee with Legs)
- Chilean Drinks - From Wine to Cola de Mono (Monkey's tail???). Also one drink you should avoid at all costs
- Chilean Food - A list of typical Chilean meals, desserts and more in Spanish with what they are in English (A great guide to take to a restaurant to help you figure out the menu)
- Hostels in Chile - Backpacker Accommodation
- Hotels in Chile - Some of the Hotels we have stayed at.
- Chilean Newspapers - A guide to Newspapers throughout the country
- Cities in Chile - A list of different cities and the pages we have about them
- Huasos - Traditional Chilean 'cowboys' and what they wear
- Mapuche - Indigenous culture of Chile. Their people, language, art, music, legends and history.
- Money in Chile - Changing Money, UF Value, Taxes
- Music - A bit of history and current popular bands and singers
- National Anthem - With its translation in English.
- Rodeos - Where a Huaso can show his skills
- Ski Centers in Chile - Where everyone goes to ski or snowboard in Chile
- Spanish Schools in Chile - The best places to learn Spanish in Chile
- Sport - Chilean Football / Soccer - Do you like football? Then this is for you.
- Teaching English in Chile - The ins and outs of teaching English in Chile
- Telephones - Calls - What you need to know about making calls in Chile.
- Tours in Chile - Types of tours on offer in Chile.
- Vineyards - A list of vineyards that can be visited for tours and wine tasting.
- Wine Festivals - Different festivals and events associated with this majestic beverage.
- Writers - Gabriela Mistral - Mistral won the Nobel Prize of Literature
- Writers - Pablo Neruda - Neruda won the Nobel Prize of Literature
- Writers - Isabel Allende - Deserves the Nobel Prize of Literature
SANTIAGO - CHILE
- Santiago - Capital City (Main Page)
- Patio Bellavista - Around 50 shops and restaurants in the bohemian part of town
- Cerro Santa Lucia
- Escuela Militar - The large Military School in Las Condes
- Paris Londres Neighbourhood
- Parque Araucano - A large park in Las Condes that has beautiful rose gardens with fountains, an aviary, basketball and tennis courts, a bike park, many playgrounds from children and lots of grass areas to relax on.
- Plaza Peru - In the heart of the financial district with many restaurants nearby (includes video)
- Santa Lucia Craft Market - A great place to buy handicraft and other souvenirs
- Santiago Local Bus System - How to catch a bus and costs
- Restaurant - Bali Hai - in Las Condes
- Restaurant - Como Agua Para Chocolate - in Bellavista
If you found this guide about South America interesting or useful, let others know about it: